9 de setembro de 2009


There are many things of which a wise man might wish to be ignorant.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom.
Hugo De Groot (1583 - 1645)

Innocence dwells with Wisdom, but never with Ignorance.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't.
Mignon McLaughlin, (1913 - 1983)

For the first time ever in the long history of this site, I'll be writing in fair Albion's idiom.

My posted tales have begun to get a life of their own. It's a strange feeling to me because, from the moment I decided to take a chance and write these short stories, they were not meant to be so long. I, therefore, hereby apologise for extensive length of them. But what happens is rather interesting: I begin to write on a given subject and some lines later, the story begins to demand more. Asking for more and more. She wants to grow, she wants to go into details, to show every emotion, every tear, smile, frown, shrug, everything. There's not one character's step that seems expendable. So, stories that shouldn't be more than three paragraphs long, become a novel to me. The will to break them in parts is very very strong and, for once, I gave in to it (here I, here II and here III). As I wrote it, I began to feel sorry for the poor reader who had to wait for the next part, and myself feeling frustrated because the pleasure of writing gave place to a obnoxious feeling of tiresome duty. A clear symptom of this is the rate which I wrote it - besides, I was on holiday, which made it worse.
Yesterday I was really tempted to do the same again, but only a two part story. Fábia's tale wasn't so intricate as the Architect's tale and I belive that if I'd broken the tale at the point where she attempts suicide and then develop the recovery further more in another part (how the friendship with Marcia developed and got deeper, how she found her calling, how she recovered from the problems, how the kids reacted to the suicide attempt news, and other topics that might show up afterwards). One of the comments (and personal talk), from Mag, sugested that there should be a follow-up story, just to know, for instance, what happened to Lourenço and everything related to him. I agree and disagree for two reasons: if you read the story on the worldly point of view, and since such emphasis was put on the Lourenço's affair and the divorce, it is fair that one should know what happened to him, specially because he acted as one of "God's hands" by saving her life, preventing the suicide. But that is not the issue, the reason why I wrote the tale. As any other tale I post here, there are several lessons included, underlying principles which I represent by the inicial quotes. However, I believe that someday I might return to these characters and use them, once more (that's what they're here for), to illustrate other life lessons. I think it would enrich them psychologically and it would be good as a 'première' for me, too.

Changing the subject...

Who hasn't never felt that one should know far less than one knows? That we should be more ignorant? I have no problems in saying that I have. Some things, some lessons I learned in life, some data I learned in school, are (or have, for some time, been) just too plain heavy to be carried in someone's mind or soul. Sometimes is the content of the lesson; others, is the way that lesson was learned, the price paid for it. There are lessons and there are "lessons"! It's not easy to learn things which will come into mind after one has suffered terribly - normally one focus too much on the pain and its causes, and too litle on the 'wider picture'. Some lessons are really awful, and I'm not talking about the ones that lead to the loss of a beloved one. Imagine rape cases, murder, disablement situations, lives competely torn apart... what can one say of this? What can one learn of all this?... But these are extreme cases, with a very own and very hard lesson associated. On the other cases, our Human nature, our Ego continuously puts himself in the front of the possibility of understanding the 'wider picture', dressed as Resentment and lack of Pacience. These are our limiting steps, which proves and is, also, to say (figuratively, of course), we are our best friends and our worst enemies.
I believe, ultimately, that what we desire, when those hard lesson come to us, that we should have stayed as innocent as before the lesson. Ignorance can easily be confused with innocence, the diference being that the Ignorant already has some blame of its actions, due to its lack of information - i.e., the ignorant could have done something, but he opted not to - but he is morally responsible and connected to the action which he could have prevented, and, therefore, should have done something. Opposedly, the innocent can sometimes have the knowledge, the information, but one choses to see the best part of it and use such knowledge in a positive way, i.e. he is morally 'clean'; some other times, one doesn't know the consequences of its actions but, logically or instinctively, using its Wisdom or deducing from other similar experiences, he choses tho follow the best path. The Innocent is normally far away from the problem but he, somehow, knows something can happen. Ultimately, and bottomline, no guilt of its actions can be inputed to him (therefore it use in Law) - and that's why the ignorance of the law isn't an excuse for the non-compliance. Morality is what makes the difference (and a nice way to put it is the above sentence by McLaughlin).
I, therefore, rephrase my question and answer: I wished for some times, to have stayed innocent relatively to some lessons I've learned - and I'm also grateful, however painful it was, that I grew out of ignorance, even if I wished, back then, that I'd still be there... but had I had the moral to keep it like that?... Had I searched for the purest Goodness, Kindness?... Ultimately, ignorance is proven wrong. It's always a temporary situation because the Light always shines, one day...

1 comentário:

Sílvia disse...

As you wrote in english I am forced to do the same...:) I'd hoped to read a nice story but you as a box full with different surprises changed it into life considerations....just to make a change...got it...sometimes we're tired to do the same things...
I liked to read it and I agree with you...looking back I still feel the same pain I felt before have I learned my lesson? Yes, but why did it have to hurt so much? Sometimes I just wish to be innocent, as we were when we were children, others I just want everybody to tell me the whole truth... I know that deep inside of me lies the Light...
Hope you're a sleep now :)
Love the photo
Be happy....